English Language Learners
If English isn’t your first language, leaving your home and coming to a new school may seem a little daunting at first. But it doesn’t have to be. English Language Learners have special access to services and resources through the Wernham & West Centre for Learning (CFL), beginning the moment they accept an offer of admission.
Mary Gauthier, director of the Wernham & West Centre for Learning. Click on the picture to learn more about Mary and the CFL.
“The CFL is a special place that helps teachers teach better and boys learn better. We’re world-renowned for our research on boys’ learning and we’re experts at making sure each and every boy feels confident, and learns and performs to the best of his ability, whatever his unique needs,” says Mary Gauthier, director of the CFL.
“We’re here to ensure you feel comfortable and prepared for the coming year. Please don’t hesitate to make use of all the ways we can make the transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible for you.”
See below for all of the ways the CFL can help English Language Learners.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
We can help prepare you for English learning at UCC.
- We can send you the first chapters on the first book you will be reading in English.
- We can discuss the text with you online.
- We can suggest resources to help with transitioning to an English-speaking school.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE
We participate in your orientation.
- We lead a tour of the school and neighbourhood.
- We get to know you and begin to find out what will be helpful to you in reading and writing.
- We help your parents see more of Toronto.
We offer ongoing English support throughout your UCC education.
- We work with your teachers and advisers and support your transition to UCC.
- We run a class for Y2 and FY boarders to develop English skills.
- We provide individual support to IB1 and IB2 students during spares.
- We coordinate peer tutoring sessions, matching ELL students with native speakers.
- We offer professional ELL tutoring ($70 per hour).
Contact Julia Rosefield at email@example.com for more information.
Kathryn Barnes named new director of the Wernham and West Centre for Learning
Kathryn Barnes has been appointed the new director of the Wernham and West Centre for Learning, effective July 1, 2016. She replaces Mary Gauthier, who will head the newly established Greenwood Institute at Greenwood College School in August.
Kathryn is currently UCC’s Middle Division co-ordinator for the Centre for Learning. She is currently finishing a Master’s of Education, with a focus on leadership and program administration at OISE, and has taught at Holy Trinity School and Branksome Hall. READ MORE