English Language Learners
If English isn’t your first language, leaving your home and coming to a new school may seem a little daunting at first. But it doesn’t have to be. English Language Learners have special access to services and resources through the Wernham & West Centre for Learning (CFL), beginning the moment they accept an offer of admission.
See below for all of the ways the CFL can help English Language Learners.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
We can help prepare you for English learning at UCC.
- We can send you the first chapters on the first book you will be reading in English.
- We can discuss the text with you online.
- We can suggest resources to help with transitioning to an English-speaking school.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE
We participate in your orientation.
- We lead a tour of the school and neighbourhood.
- We get to know you and begin to find out what will be helpful to you in reading and writing.
- We help your parents see more of Toronto.
We offer ongoing English support throughout your UCC education.
- We work with your teachers and advisers and support your transition to UCC.
- We run a class for Y2 and FY boarders to develop English skills.
- We provide individual support to IB1 and IB2 students during spares.
- We coordinate peer tutoring sessions, matching ELL students with native speakers.
- We offer professional ELL tutoring ($70 per hour).
Contact Julia Rosefield at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, and visit our webpage to learn more about how the Centre for Learning helps faculty and students.